Cacao has powerful anti-oxidant activity – indeed, cacao is considered one of the best anti-oxidant ever known. Both cacao and walnuts are rich in serotonin, which is an anti-depressant agent. So why not try to melt them together in a perfect harmony, with a Comfort Food that has many beneficial effects on our health?
The common misperception that chocolate makes you fat has been confuted in a recent study published on Nutrition, demonstrating that chocolate provides levels of fat that are as low as any other food. Cacao contains oleic acid, a heart-healthy monounsaturated fat also found in olive oil, which may raise good cholesterol.
But that’s not all. Infact, raw chocolate has also appetite-suppressant properties and is often added to weight loss products to help control hunger. Walnut brownie can therefore be considered as a good substitute in a well-balanced diet, akin to diet bars flavoured with chocolate and generally used for a light snack.
Chocolate is high in phytochemicals that are beneficial to the heart, but it is important that the chocolate contains at least 70 percent cacao.
Walnuts Brownie is good for adult and children and is quite simple to make.
Ingredients for a cookie sheet (about 8 square inches)
- 1 cup of dark chocolate (content of cacao more than 70%)
- 4 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 tbsp of honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp of bitter cacao (raw or toasted)
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- ½ cup of almond flour (or the equivalent in almonds to be blended)
- 6 tbsp of shelled walnuts
- Turn the oven to 180°C/350°F (ventilated) or 200°C/400°F (static air).
- Chop coarsely the chocolate and melt it in bain-marie (double boiler). Make sure that the inner bowl doesn’t touch the hot boiling water.
- Remove from heat, add the extra-virgin olive oil and stir gently.
- Add cacao, eggs, honey/maple syrup, almond flour and baking powder. Mix all ingredients and stir.
- Chop and crumble walnuts. Pour the mixture in a cookie sheet, lined with baking paper. Coat with crumbled walnuts, letting them also to penetrate the mixture itself.
- Put into the oven. Bake for 30 mins.
- Take back from the oven and leave to cool.
- Cut into squares and serve.