Dietary glycemic index may be an independent and modifiable risk factor for age-related diseases, including retinal macular degeneration. These are the conclusions of a group of researchers at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Medfords, Massachusets. The type and quality of carbohydrate are indeed more significant than quantity.
A high-glycemic-index diet is one that is rich in high-glycemic-index foods, which are converted more rapidly to blood sugar in the body than low-glycemic-index foods. According to these studies, women who were put on a diet with a relatively high dietary glycemic index had greater risk of developing signs of early age-related macular degeneration when compared with women who consumed diets with a lower dietary glycemic index. High total carbohydrate intake, however, did not significantly increase the risk factor.
A diet high in high-glycemic-index foods like white bread and french fries has a higher overall glycemic index than a diet based more heavily on low-glycemic-index foods, such as lentils and yams.
Yams are therefore very important in our diet, thanks also to their anti-oxidant and anti-aging properties. In a well-balanced diet, they can help lower blood cholesterol and sugar levels. It seems that these properties are mainly due to the Caiapo which is contained in their peel. Caiapo Potato Powder have traditionally been used as a natural healthy food since ancient times.
Here is one of the easiest recipes with yams, very tasty and light.
Ingredients for 6 persons
- About 2½ pounds of yams.
- 6 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Rosemary and Chilli Pepper (to your heart’s desire).
- 3 pinches of Himalayas salt.
- 3 cloves of garlic.
- Turn the oven to 180°C/350°F (ventilated) or 200°C/400°F (static air).
- Rinse and dry your yams, peel them and keep their peels apart (you can use them in salads).
- Chop your yams, which will be preferably coarsely rod or prism-shaped before putting them in a baking tray. Give them the same size. Mince your cloves of garlic and add all the ingredients, seasoning at last with the extra-virgin olive oil.
- Put into the oven and bake for 30 mins.
- Serve warm, adding some parsley or coriander.